Sunday, September 7, 2008

Almost 4 weeks

I know its been a while since I posted, but motherhood is kicking my butt. Last week we went to the doctor and Anika had only gained 1 oz all week. She should be gaining more like 1 oz per day, so this was very disconcerting. So we have had to supplement with formula after all. I saw a lactation consultant to see what we could do to get my milk supply up for her, and so now we are on a very involved and difficult feeding regimen. I'm also taking a supplement and a medication and medicinal teas all to help my milk come in. So far its been 5 days, and I am still pumping exactly the same amount as when I started. But its still early. So if you think of us, keep us in your prayers. I really want to nurse and I am not giving up yet, but its a lot harder or at least more complicated than I originally thought it would be.

5 comments:

  1. The most important part is to let it happen. Calm down, enjoy your little beauty. And don't fret. Women just like you have been doing this for lots and lots of years. Way before there were scales that measured to the ounce (or at least before mothers thought to weigh their babies on such scales). Ya know, they say drinking a beer a day helps the milk come in. Kick back, have a cold one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jules... I'm sorry it's not going the way you envisioned it. From what I am learning from other friends with babies, it rarely goes the way you plan... just love her, cuddle her, smell her and know that however it works out, you're the best mommy on the planet for her! Give me a call if you get a minute. I haven't wanted to call you for fear of interrupting naps, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jules, Anika is going to be a beautiful young lady no matter how this challenge turns out. So, rather than tell ya to do this or that (ha, like I know! I'm just working from memory, no PERSONAL xperience ya know), just rest in Papa God's arms, He's holding you 'n' Mike 'n' Ani.

    And, hmmm...I'f I'm going to call Him "Papa God"....I'm wondering about the moniker "Papa Mark". Does that God "grandpa God", and, if so, what theological ramifications does that have upon the sonship issues in the NT.

    oops, digression.

    Kiss Ani!!!

    Papa M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. uhm...for clarity's sake, second paragraph should read "Does that *make* God..."

    try 2 be a comedian and i cant evun get the wurds wright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just be sure you have the right pump! You need the hospital one. Sarah had to end up renting one but it was worth it from the point of production and getting it out!

    ReplyDelete