Saturday, July 5, 2008

Week 34 and 35

I realize I never actually gave a fruit update last week. At 34 weeks the baby was roughly the weight of a cantalope, and now that we are 35 weeks today she has achieved honeydew melon status.

At 35 weeks, we are just 2 weeks away from full term, although Anika is not due to join us for another 5 weeks. At this stage, babies born now have an excellent chance of needing little to no medical intervention after birth and usually even if they need help for a few weeks, they match up developmentally with their full term counter parts rather quickly.

But I do not appear to be in danger of delivering early. I'm not having contractions very often that I can feel, although apparently the uterus contracts all throughout pregnancy, rarely does it come across my radar.

We have now finished our Lamaze class, and while I sort of felt it was mostly a waste of time, I think we learned a few helpful things to get us through labor.

This week we are down in NC at my folks, and all my brothers and sisters are here with their families. Which is both tiring, and very nice. Michael is enjoying spending time with my brothers since one by one our regular hang-out friends are either in shows, rehearsal, or moving away now that grad school is over.

Yesterday my Mom took a picture of me in my maternity bathing suit, so if she ever sends that image my way, I'll be sure to post it for you. Let's just say I am so big that my family is joking about twins. Take a honeydew melon, strap it to your belly, add 20 pounds of cushy water balloons, and you can approximate what it is like to be me these days.

I look forward to walking up and down stairs without having it be a production.

3 comments:

  1. Because walking up and down the stairs with the baby, baby diaper bag, car seat, etc. won't be a production?? Yeah right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julez! We cannot WAIT till we get to see you. Ya know, Mike doesn't like melons much. Good thing the fruit references are only to SIZE. You two are going to be the best parents ever.

    I bought MY first things for little Anika. Yuppers, one of 'em is a onesie (sp??) that says, "Grandpa's favorite".

    Just like you're my fave d'-in-law.

    Cheers,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with jenna-as hard as walking is the last month carrying all the baby paraphernalia is much more challenging, although my arms look better then ever so that's nice. :-) Can't wait to see more pictures!
    Karie

    ReplyDelete