Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Anika Sage






Well, after 33 hours of labor Anika was finally born at 11:48 am on Monday August 11th. She was 7lbs (actually 6 lbs, 15.5 oz) and 20 inches long. Giving life has been one of the most incredible experiences of my life, possibly the most wonderful, exhilarating, scary, joyful experiences I can even imagine.


And since I imagine many of you would like to see her, I will include some pictures. She does not look at all as I imagined her, but I still think she is beautiful. During labor, she was a trooper. She never even went to sleep during the last 6 hours, which is pretty unusual, and it wasn't until the very end that the contractions even seemed to change her heart rate. Once born, she didn't have a wet diaper for 28 hours, and the pediatricians wanted me to supplement with formula to make sure the plumbing worked after 24 hours of being dry. But I knew she would figure out what to do and we were right. No formula for us. Then they were concerned because she hadn't had any poopy diapers (though she did poop during delivery - too much information?) and although they knew the plumbing must work apparently it is worrisome because they don't want her billiruben count to go too high. So they said we had to go visit our real pediatrician if she hadn't pooped by this morning. But once again, she was just on her own time and has since provided the required poop.


So the moral of the story is - already she is her own little unique person and people just need to let her be herself.


No comments:

Post a Comment