Saturday, May 31, 2008

30 Weeks - Glucose screening


This week the baby should be around 3 lbs and approximately the size of a head of cabbage - which is apparently not to be confused with the size of chinese cabbage of a few weeks ago. I am including the best picture I could get of my belly considering I had to take it myself. Any bluish tints that show up are purely the effect of the camera. I can assure you my stomach is not blue.
So this next week will be fun and exciting. At 28 weeks we took a glucose test and my levels were too high. Which might mean nothing, and might mean I have gestational diabetes. So lucky me, I get to go back to the doctor on Wednesday and take a super duper 3 hour long test. I have to fast for 8 hours before I go (thank goodness for morning appointments) and then they will take blood samples four times. The first time will be when I get there. Then I will drink an extra large portion of glucose drink (last time it tasted like fruit punch - this time who knows). Then they test my blood once every hour for the next three hours. If my blood sugar spikes up too high on any one of those tests, then I definitely have GD. :(


The good news is, on the preliminary test, if you score over 140 they make you do this long test. If you score over 200 you definitely have GD and they don't need to do the second test. My score was around 144 I think, which is awfully close to normal. So I may be just fine. Michael is taking wednesday off to go with me to the hospital. It will be good practice for when I am in labor and we need to entertain ourselves there. So we will have ample time to explore the good hallways and sample cafeteria food (once the test is over).


On a brighter note, Anika will be full term in 7 weeks. Although she is likely to take around 10-12 weeks to decide to come out, in 7 weeks she should be pretty much ready to go. So we are down the home stretch!


Today our new sheets arrived (our old ones were pure white - and not very baby friendly) so we are working on getting the "nursery" set up for her. Of course she doesn't actually have a mattress for her bed yet, but all in good time.

3 comments:

  1. Yey belly picture! I wouldn't worry too much about your glucose test. My sister had to have the three hour one. In fact a lot of people I know have and the vast majority of them have been fine. I'm sure you will be too.

    Don't forget to show us pictures of the "nursery" as you get them done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was the test? Everything okay? How was the hospital food?

    ReplyDelete